Powered By Blogger

Pages

Sunday 26 June 2011

Thoughts on... playing and instrument, and my inability to do so.

Out of my tight circle of friends, I am the only one with no musical talent. Nil, zero, null. One can play the clarinet and keyboard, one the flute, one the piano, and one keyboard, piano and is learning guitar. My musical capabilities extend as far as half a term or so of cello lessons. I didn`t even want them. I wanted to play the violin, and to me, being forced to play the clarinet just reinforced the image inside my head that I couldn`t stand up for long periods of time cause I was too fat.
So thank you, whoever made me play the cello.
Plus, in an orchestra, you hardly see the cello players. They sit somewhere at the back or the side, and play you the low notes. Violin-ists (or whatever) stand at the front in your face, and prance around a bit when they have nothing to do.
In my head? Violin = elgant. Cello = I grew out of being elegant (only when you have no idea what you`re doing, which just makes me feel worse. If I had the slighest clue on how to play a cello, I`d have been much better off. Professionals have this amazing ability to make what felt horrible and screechy to me, look amazing).
And I sing. Loudly. I`m not sure if I should offer out cotton wool to my friends or not, because I don`t SUCK (too badly) at Singstar and such games, but then, my friends might just be too nice to tell me I actually do SUCK (that badly). So I apologise.
And I have little enough self-respect to want to sing in front of a whole class.
But I can whistle. I can even do a tune now.
So whilst all my friends learn amazing pieces of Mozart or Paramore, or are just flying through there music exams, I stay at home and try to whistle this.
Time Takers - She Blows (The whistle tune).
"If you like dutch house, drum and bass, grime, bass music, house and dubstep, you will love this track."
Ha! You can`t play THAT on a piano!
Or at least if you can, don`t tell me. I was so chuffed x)

And I can play Avril Lavigne - What the hell on a keyboard. And whenever I`m even NEAR one, I insist upon doing so.

But whistling`s my forte. XD
-Lizzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment